While dogs have their own dietary needs, there are certain foods that can be harmful or even toxic to them. Here are five things you should not give your dog to eat.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that is toxic to dogs. Consumption of chocolate can lead to symptoms like increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, and, in severe cases, seizures or even death.

Grapes and raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even small amounts can be toxic and should be avoided. Symptoms may include vomiting, decreased appetite, and increased thirst.

Onions and garlic: Onions and garlic, in all forms (raw, cooked, powdered), contain compounds that can damage a dog's red blood cells and lead to anemia. Dogs should avoid consuming these ingredients, as symptoms may include weakness, vomiting, and breathlessness.

Xylitol: Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in various products like gum, candies, and baked goods. It is highly toxic to dogs and can lead to a sudden drop in blood sugar levels, resulting in seizures, liver failure, or even death.

Avocado: Avocado contains a substance called persin, which can be toxic to dogs in large quantities. While the flesh is generally safe, the skin, pit, and leaves of avocados can be harmful. Digestive upset or breathing difficulties may occur if ingested.