Fungus in ice cream, dough: Raids held in Telangana’s Bhadrachalam

Raids conducted in Telangana’s Bhadrachalam due to fungus found in ice cream, dough.

Raids conducted in Telangana’s Bhadrachalam due to fungus found in ice cream, dough.

Bhadrachalam inspections echo hygiene concerns found in Hyderabad and neighboring regions.

In Hyderabad, the specialized units of the Telangana Food Safety department intensified their scrutiny, extending inspections to the Bhadradri-Kothagudem district on Monday, May 27. The findings revealed alarming lapses in hygiene standards across various restaurants and food establishments.

Instances of unsanitary conditions were reported, raising significant concerns about food safety and public health. The inspections underscored the imperative for stringent enforcement of regulations to uphold sanitation protocols and prevent potential health hazards.

These revelations come amid heightened vigilance following previous instances of questionable hygiene practices in Hyderabad and surrounding areas. The concerted efforts of the food safety teams aim to address systemic issues, ensuring compliance with stringent standards to safeguard consumer well-being.

As authorities continue to monitor and enforce regulations, the public remains vigilant, emphasizing the paramount importance of maintaining hygiene standards in food handling and preparation processes.

The recent inspection at Townhouse (Sri Bhadra Grand) in Bhadrachalam uncovered alarming findings, highlighting serious concerns about food safety and hygiene practices. Among the most distressing discoveries was the presence of fungal-infested ice cream, totaling 88 liters and valued at Rs. 39,600, along with rotten eggs stored in the refrigerator. These unsanitary conditions pose significant health risks to consumers and necessitated the immediate disposal of the contaminated items.

Furthermore, the inspection revealed the use of synthetic food colors in food preparation, including in 8 kilograms of biryani, 10 kilograms of Mandi rice, and 0.5 kilograms of synthetic food color Lemon Yellow. The presence of synthetic additives raises questions about compliance with food safety standards and underscores the need for greater vigilance in food handling practices.

Equally concerning was the improper storage of semi-prepared and raw food articles in the refrigerator, where the temperature was not adequately maintained. This oversight compromises the freshness and safety of food products and highlights the importance of adhering to proper storage protocols to prevent contamination and spoilage.

The inspection also identified deficiencies in hygiene practices among food handlers, who were found without hair caps, gloves, and aprons. Proper attire and personal protective equipment are essential for minimizing the risk of contamination and ensuring the safety of food preparation processes. The absence of medical fitness certificates for food handlers further raises concerns about their suitability for handling food and underscores the need for robust screening measures to safeguard public health.

Additionally, the inspection revealed lapses in pest control measures, with no pest control records found with the Food Business Operator (FBO). Effective pest control is essential for preventing infestations and maintaining a sanitary food environment. The absence of water analysis reports for RO water used for cooking and drinking further indicates a lack of oversight in ensuring the quality and safety of water sources.

Furthermore, the kitchen premises were found to be inadequately protected against external contaminants, with open access to the outside environment and insufficient barriers to prevent the entry of pests, flies, and other pollutants. Proper sanitation and hygiene measures, including the use of mesh barriers and sealed containers, are essential for mitigating the risk of food contamination and maintaining a hygienic food preparation environment.

Moreover, open dustbins without lids present a breeding ground for pests and contribute to environmental contamination, posing additional risks to food safety and public health. Proper waste management practices, including the use of covered bins and regular disposal, are crucial for maintaining cleanliness and preventing the spread of disease-causing agents.

In light of these findings, it is imperative for food establishments to prioritize compliance with food safety regulations and implement stringent measures to ensure the quality and safety of food products. Regular inspections, comprehensive training programs for food handlers, and strict adherence to hygiene protocols are essential for safeguarding consumer health and preventing the recurrence of such lapses in the future. The authorities must take swift and decisive action to address the identified deficiencies and hold accountable those responsible for compromising food safety standards. Only through collective efforts and sustained vigilance can we ensure the integrity of our food supply chain and protect the well-being of consumers.

The inspection at Sri Gauthami Spice Restaurant in Bhadrachalam unveiled concerning findings regarding food safety and hygiene practices. Among the discoveries was the presence of 10 kilograms of prepared dough infested with fungus, necessitating its immediate disposal. Additionally, the use of synthetic food colors was identified, raising questions about compliance with food safety regulations.

Further deficiencies were observed, including food handlers without proper attire such as haircaps, gloves, and aprons, as well as the absence of annual medical records. The proximity of open drainage and uncovered dustbins near cooked food poses contamination risks. Improper storage of both cooked and raw food, without lids, exposes them to flies and pests, compromising their safety. These findings underscore the urgent need for improved hygiene measures and compliance with food safety standards to safeguard public health.

At Raghvendra Hotel Tiffins & Meals in Bhadrachalam, alarming hygiene lapses were detected during inspections. Houseflies were discovered in 8 kilograms of idly batter and 5 liters of boiled milk. Additionally, the absence of prominently displayed FSSAI License copies, lack of proper hygiene in the cooking area, and food handlers without necessary hairnets, aprons, and gloves were noted. Both cooked and raw food were uncovered, exposing them to contamination. Furthermore, the absence of pest control measures and the presence of spider webs and oil deposition in the food storage area raise significant concerns. These findings highlight the urgent need for improved hygiene practices and compliance with food safety regulations.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *