‘Good signs’ seen in Iran talks, but US has alternatives: Rubio

Rubio sees hope in Iran talks, warns alternatives remain.

Rubio sees hope in Iran talks, warns alternatives remain.

On the 84th day of the American‑Israeli war on Iran, tensions showed faint signs of diplomatic movement but remained overshadowed by escalating military and economic risks, especially at sea. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there were “good signs” emerging from negotiations with Tehran, while warning that Washington was ready with “other options” if talks collapsed. He noted that Pakistan and other regional partners were still working behind the scenes, with some officials travelling to Tehran on Friday in an effort to bridge gaps between the two sides, though several key issues remained unresolved.

At sea, the situation around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most vital energy corridors, remained deeply fragile. The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) organisation assessed the threat level in the Strait of Hormuz, Gulf of Oman and Arabian Sea as “critical”, reflecting a region where normal commercial movement has been badly disrupted. Shipping traffic through the strait is still “significantly reduced”, and piracy risks are high, with three merchant vessels still detained after being seized between April 21 and May 2, underlining how vulnerable civilian shipping has become.

UKMTO further warned that possible mining along sea lanes and interference with satellite navigation systems continue to complicate already tense conditions for ship crews and operators. The fate of an oil tanker seized 10 nautical miles off Yemen’s coast on May 2 and reportedly diverted toward Somali waters remains unclear, adding to anxiety in maritime and insurance circles. Yet, despite repeated threats from Yemen’s Houthi movement, commercial traffic through the Bab el‑Mandeb and Gulf of Aden has so far remained relatively steady, suggesting shipowners are still willing to take calculated risks to keep trade moving.

India, heavily dependent on imported energy and regional sea lanes, is treating the crisis as a practical problem of safety and logistics as much as geopolitics. According to additional secretary Mukesh Mangal from the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, New Delhi’s immediate priority is to bring back Indian‑flagged vessels stranded near the Strait of Hormuz before resuming normal fuel‑loading operations. In total, 13 Indian‑flagged ships and one Indian‑owned vessel remain stuck on the western side of the waterway, and Mangal made clear that India will only send ships west of the strait once conditions are judged safe enough for crews and cargo.

In Washington, domestic politics over war powers again came to the surface. US media reported that Republicans postponed yet another vote on legislation that would curb President Donald Trump’s authority to launch military action against Iran, apparently concerned that several absences in their ranks could allow the measure to pass. Democratic Representative Mike Levin said on X that Republicans delayed the vote because they feared defeat, highlighting how the conflict is feeding into a wider debate over presidential power and congressional oversight.

On the battlefield, Iran has sought to demonstrate that the costs of war for the United States are steadily rising. Bloomberg News reported that Iranian forces have destroyed more than two dozen US MQ‑9 Reaper drones since the conflict began, losses estimated at around 1 billion dollars and accounting for nearly 20 percent of the Pentagon’s pre‑war inventory of that drone type. US congressional data cited in the report indicated that at least 42 American aircraft in total have been damaged or destroyed, with overall equipment losses approaching 2.6 billion dollars, illustrating the intensity and expense of the campaign.

Diplomatic and security conversations are unfolding in parallel to the fighting. The US State Department said Rubio spoke by phone with British Home Secretary Yvette Cooper about Iran and the urgent need to restore freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, while also stressing that Europe should shoulder more responsibility for its own security. On the ground in Lebanon, however, the violence showed no sign of easing, as Lebanon’s Civil Defense reported four people killed in an Israeli strike on an ambulance centre in the southern town of Hanawiya, a reminder of the human cost spreading beyond Iran itself.

Iranian media continued to highlight the diplomatic track, even as clashes persisted. ISNA reported that indirect consultations between Tehran and Washington, mediated by Pakistan, are still under way in search of a framework agreement that might at least contain the conflict. Pakistan’s interior minister remained in Tehran on Friday for further talks, but ISNA said key disagreements remain unresolved, leaving open the question of whether these cautious diplomatic signals can translate into a durable reduction in hostilities.

Leave a Comment