New territory: Trump shares image showing US owning Hormuz

Trump Shares Image Showing US Owning Strait of Hormuz

Trump Shares Image Showing US Owning Strait of Hormuz

The image echoes Trump’s claim of Hormuz as US territory.

  • The post appeared amid continuing tensions between the United States and Iran.
  • Trump said no talks with Iran were currently taking place or scheduled.
  • Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi claimed Washington was seeking negotiations on Tehran’s terms.
  • Iran has said the Strait will remain closed until US conditions are fulfilled.
  • The Strait carries a major share of the world’s traded oil.
  • Saudi Aramco reportedly resumed some oil loading through the waterway.
  • The UAE issued an emergency alert over a possible missile threat.
  • Iran denied firing a missile towards the UAE.
  • The expiry of the US-Iran memorandum has increased uncertainty.
  • The crisis could affect oil prices, shipping, insurance, and regional security. Trump Map Escalates Strait of Hormuz Tensions

Washington: US President Donald Trump has shared an image on Truth Social portraying the Strait of Hormuz as “NEW U.S. The image, posted on Tuesday, August 18, showed the strategic waterway enclosed within a marked area but carried no additional caption.

The post appeared to echo Trump’s earlier statements suggesting that the Strait could come under American control after Iran’s alleged “surrender”. Iran has rejected that description and insists that it has not surrendered in the conflict. Trump has also said that no talks with Iran are currently taking place or scheduled, while maintaining that the Strait is open and operating.

It is one of the world’s most important energy routes, carrying a significant share of global oil exports every day. Saudi Arabia, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Iran are among the major oil-producing countries that depend on the waterway for international shipments.

At its narrowest point, the Strait is approximately 34 kilometres wide. Ships must use designated navigation lanes because of shallow waters, making the passage particularly vulnerable to disruption. Any prolonged closure or military confrontation could affect oil prices, shipping costs, insurance premiums, and energy supplies far beyond the Middle East.

Tehran rejects Trump’s claims

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the United States was now seeking negotiations on Iranian terms. He claimed Washington’s objective had been to force Iran to surrender, but insisted that Tehran would not accept such a demand.

Araghchi said Iran had secured most of the terms in a memorandum of understanding with the United States. According to him, the document contained 13 provisions favourable to Iran and one favourable to the US. He also accused Israel of trying to sabotage the agreement and prevent its implementation.

“We won the war, and we also won in diplomacy,” Araghchi said, claiming that Iran had compelled its opponents to accept its conditions. The competing statements from Washington and Tehran reveal how sharply the two sides differ over both the military situation and the prospects for diplomacy.

The memorandum expired on Monday, adding another layer of uncertainty. Iran has said the Strait will remain closed until the United States fulfils conditions including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing frozen Iranian assets.

Saudi oil shipments resume

Despite the tensions, Saudi Aramco reportedly resumed loading oil through the Strait last week. Shipping data and trade sources indicated that the company offered Asian refiners Arab Medium and Arab Heavy crude for loading through ship-to-ship transfers near Fujairah in the UAE.

Aramco had suspended sales for several days after one of its ships was attacked in the Strait the previous month. The resumption suggests that energy companies are trying to restore some level of commercial activity, even as security conditions remain uncertain.

For oil markets, the development is important because the Strait is difficult to replace quickly. Alternative pipelines and routes can carry only part of the region’s exports. Any disruption could therefore place immediate pressure on global energy markets.

UAE issues missile warning

The United Arab Emirates issued an emergency alert on Tuesday, warning residents of a possible missile threat. The National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority urged people to move immediately to a safe place inside the nearest secure building.

The authority said its air-defence systems had detected a missile threat directed towards the country. Residents were instructed to remain indoors and follow announcements from official sources. Reports later said that two ballistic missiles had been detected and fell into the sea, while Iran denied firing a missile at the UAE.

The warning heightened anxiety among residents already living under the shadow of the wider conflict. For families in Gulf countries, the crisis is no longer only about diplomacy and oil shipments; it affects travel, daily routines, business, and personal safety.

Leave a Comment