UAE suspends trade, financial transactions with Iran

UAE Suspends All Trade And Financial Transactions With Iran

UAE Suspends All Trade And Financial Transactions With Iran

UAE air defence systems responded to two ballistic missiles launched from Iran on Tuesday, August 18, prompting the announcement.

  • The UAE suspended trade and financial transactions with Iran until further notice.
  • The decision followed regional security developments and a missile incident.
  • UAE officials detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran.
  • Both missiles fell into the sea.
  • One missile landed outside UAE territorial waters and the other within them.
  • The missiles were reportedly directed towards maritime navigation.
  • A brief emergency alert was sent to UAE residents.
  • Iran denied launching missiles at the UAE.
  • Tehran said the allegation could damage regional trust and stability.
  • The UAE had previously faced nearly 3,000 missile and drone attacks.
  • The Strait of Hormuz remains central to the wider crisis.
  • The suspension could affect trade, banking, shipping, and regional supply chains. UAE Suspends Trade With Iran

Abu Dhabi: The United Arab Emirates has suspended all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, marking a sharp deterioration in relations between the two neighbouring countries.

The announcement was made by Afra Al Hameli, Director of the Strategic Communications Department at the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She said the decision had been taken because of regional developments that threatened peace and security.

Al Hameli rejected claims about the current state of economic relations between the UAE and Iran, but did not provide detailed information about the scope of the suspension or whether specific exemptions would apply. The decision is expected to affect businesses, traders, shipping companies, banks, and other organisations that maintain commercial links between the two countries.

At the same time, Al Hameli said the UAE continued to support dialogue, cooperation, and regional integration. She reaffirmed Abu Dhabi’s commitment to international law, global standards, and the integrity of the international financial system.

The announcement came shortly after the UAE said its air-defence systems had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran on Tuesday, August 18. According to UAE officials, one missile fell outside the country’s territorial waters, while the other came down within them. Both ultimately fell into the sea, and no direct impact on land was reported.

Emergency alert raises anxiety

The missile incident triggered an emergency alert on residents’ mobile phones. People were instructed to seek shelter immediately in the nearest secure building and follow official safety instructions. The warning was lifted within minutes after authorities assessed the situation.

The alert was the first of its kind in more than five weeks, making it particularly unsettling for residents who had experienced repeated security concerns earlier in the conflict. For many families, the sudden message brought back memories of previous attacks and created moments of fear, especially for children, elderly people, and those living near coastal areas.

The UAE Ministry of Defence later said the missiles appeared to have been directed towards maritime navigation rather than land targets. The clarification reduced immediate concern among residents, but the incident still raised questions about the safety of commercial shipping in the Gulf.

Iran has denied launching missiles towards the UAE. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei called the UAE’s claim baseless and said such accusations could damage regional trust, stability, and security efforts. Tehran has also suggested that unverified claims could be used to justify further pressure against Iran.

History of attacks

The UAE had faced a heavy barrage of Iranian attacks after the conflict began on February 28. Nearly 3,000 missiles and drones were reportedly directed towards the country during that period.

The attacks stopped after a memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran came into effect in June. However, tensions remained high in other parts of the Gulf, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz.

The strategic waterway is one of the world’s most important energy routes. A significant share of global oil exports passes through it, and any threat to maritime traffic can quickly affect energy prices, shipping insurance, and supply chains.

Washington and Tehran continue to offer sharply different accounts of the situation. US President Donald Trump recently shared a map showing the Strait under the heading “New US Territories”. Iran, meanwhile, has said the passage will remain closed until it reaches an agreement with the United States.

Economic and regional impact

The UAE’s decision could have consequences beyond bilateral trade. The country has historically served as an important commercial and financial hub for businesses dealing with Iran. A prolonged suspension could disrupt supply chains, increase transaction difficulties, and affect traders on both sides of the Gulf.

For ordinary people, the larger concern is the possibility of further escalation. Trade restrictions, missile alerts, and disputes over maritime routes can quickly affect fuel costs, employment, travel, and household expenses.

The immediate priority for regional governments will be to prevent further attacks and preserve communication channels. Despite suspending economic ties, the UAE’s continued reference to dialogue suggests that diplomacy has not been abandoned completely.

Leave a Comment