A fire breaks out within the Kolkata airport, which led two fire engines to hurry to the scene.
“A fire has broken out at the 3C departing terminal building at Kolkata Airport,” an airport official informed ANI.
Around 9:20 p.m., a fire was detected near the security check-in area, according to Hindustan Times Bangla. Two fire engines arrived on the scene. Officials reported no casualties.
The fire was totally extinguished by 9:40 p.m. “Because there was such a rush of travellers, airport staff took no risks and used its firemen to bring down the fire.” “It’s in control right now, and the process of cooling is underway” a police officer added. Following an initial examination, officials determined that a short circuit might have caused the incident.
“A small fire as well as smoke noticed on the entry area portal D at 9:12 pm and were fully controlled by 9:40 pm.” All passengers have been carefully evacuated, and the check-in process has been stopped due to the smell of smoke in the check-in area. Check-in and operations would resume around 10:15 p.m., according to the Kolkata Airport officials.
The fire is likely to have been started by a short-circuit, but the exact cause will be determined after a thorough investigation.
According to accounts, panic and fury erupted when black smoke blanketed the whole airport and travellers fled in terror. A belt of steel caught fire, according to reports.
Passengers at Kolkata Airport initially saw smoke and feared fire, which was later discovered on a conveyor belt at counter 15.
According to several sources, the fire tenders were able to put the fire under control. Passengers and airline personnel were evacuated.
Jyotiraditya Scindia, Union Minister for Civil Aviation, responded to the fire event, saying, “An unfortunate but minor fire broke out at the Kolkata airport near a check-in counter.”
I had a discussion with the airport director, and everything is under control. All passengers and personnel have been removed from the area. Nobody was hurt, and no injuries were reported. The check-in procedure was restarted at 22:25 hours. The source of the fire will be determined as soon as possible.”