Iran shuts western skies as US strike fears grow.
Tehran, Washington divided as secret nuclear mediation efforts continue.
Iran on Saturday issued new airspace restrictions across the western part of the Tehran Flight Information Region, tightening controls as diplomatic efforts to avert a wider conflict continued. The Notice to Air Missions, OIIX A1010/26, effectively closed several airports in that sector and allowed only a handful of facilities to operate during daylight hours. The measures are scheduled to remain in place until Monday, May 25, and airlines must now secure fresh approval from Iran’s Civil Aviation Authority before flying passengers through the affected zones.
The move came amid a tense standoff that sources describe as the 85th day of an unfolding American-Israeli confrontation with Iran. Reports in the U.S. suggested the Trump administration is revisiting military options against Tehran even as negotiators try to find a diplomatic path forward. Those present reportedly included Vice President J.D.
People familiar with the discussions told Axios the administration still saw a narrow window for progress within the next 24 hours. The Wall Street Journal, citing U.S. officials, said Mr. Trump told aides he wanted to allow more time for diplomacy, though he has not ruled out military action if negotiations fail. White House spokeswoman Carolyn Levitt told CBS News that the president was “keeping all options open.” Pentagon officials said the military remains ready to carry out any orders the president gives.
CBS reported that U.S. Some service members reportedly canceled Memorial Day weekend plans amid expectations of possible developments, underscoring how the heightened alert is affecting lives beyond the halls of power.
At a White House appearance, Mr. Trump emphasized the administration’s red line on nuclear weapons, saying Iran would never be allowed to obtain one. “Iran is dying to make a deal,” he added, while praising the strength of the U.S. military. He later canceled weekend travel to New Jersey, saying his official duties required him to stay in Washington.
On the Tehran side, Iranian diplomats pushed back strongly on U.S. demands, particularly any proposals that would limit Tehran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei warned that talks would fail if Washington insisted on negotiating detailed limits on uranium, according to state news agency IRNA and Reuters. Baghaei confirmed a Qatari delegation was meeting Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran and reiterated Pakistan’s role as the lead mediator.
Pakistan’s involvement deepened this week with visits and shuttle diplomacy intended to bridge the gap between the parties. Baghaei cautioned, however, that the trip by Pakistan Army chief General Asim Munir should not be read as a sign of a decisive breakthrough. Tasnim News, linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, quoted a source close to the negotiating team saying there had been limited progress but that fundamental disagreements remained.
Iran’s foreign minister also raised objections directly with U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres, accusing the United States of making “excessive demands” that block progress. A statement cited by Tasnim quoted Guterres urging continued diplomacy and stressing opposition to the use of force against sovereign countries. Separately, Iran’s U.N. ambassador, Amir-Saeid Iravani, called on Gulf states and Jordan to compensate Tehran for losses he attributed to what he described as unlawful actions against Iran.
Qatar has expanded its diplomatic role alongside Pakistan, with analysts saying Doha’s involvement reflects the delicacy of the moment and the need to keep channels open. Abdulla Banndar Al-Etaibi of Qatar University warned that failure to secure at least an initial agreement could risk wider escalation, pointing to unresolved issues such as the future of.
On the ground, hostilities continued to flare across the region. of Tyre after evacuation warnings. Economically, the conflict’s ripple effects have been stark: Reuters said 27 countries have approached the World Bank for emergency assistance as rising fuel costs, fertilizer shortages and disrupted supply chains strain national budgets. Several governments prefer World Bank help over IMF programs, Reuters added, and the Bank’s crisis-response framework could potentially offer up to $100 billion in support over time.
