North East Council’s golden jubilee, $6.8 billion in projects: PM
Meghalaya and Tripura are two of the states planning to hold elections early next year.
The North East Council’s Golden Jubilee is the focus of Prime Minister Narendra Modi‘s visit to Meghalaya and Tripura on Sunday. Several high-profile projects are also on the agenda for the two-state visit, which comes just days after the year’s final election season concluded with the formation of new governments in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh. Both Tripura and Meghalaya will hold elections early next year.
While the National People’s Party (NPP)-BJP coalition governs in Meghalaya, the BJP also governs in Tripura. Pema Khandu, Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, tweeted this morning: “North East Council has been in operation for 50 years! Welcome to ‘The Abode of Clouds’ Meghalaya, our Hon PM Shri @narendramodi ji. We look forward to your gracious presence at @NEC GoI’s golden jubilee celebrations; NER will prosper under your leadership. (sic).”
Here are ten highlights from PM Modi’s visit to Meghalaya and Tripura:
- On Saturday, PM Modi tweeted about his visit to the states, saying that he “will participate in various programmes aimed at furthering the growth trajectory of these states and the entire Northeast region.”
- The North Eastern Council consists of eight states: Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura. Its constitution in 1971 “opened a new chapter of concerted and planned effort,” according to its official website, which it says has played a key role in “launching a new economic effort” over the past 50 years.
- On the eve of PM Modi’s visit, Union Home Minister Amit Shah arrived in Shillong on Saturday.
- On Sunday morning, the Prime Minister will attend a crucial meeting of the North East Council.
- In total, the Prime Minister will inaugurate or dedicate projects worth Rs. 6,800 crores to the nation.
- Meghalaya will receive $2,450 crore from these projects.
- Prime Minister Modi “”He will inaugurate Shillong – Diengpasoh Road, which will provide better connectivity to the new Shillong satellite township and decongest the city,” a government statement said. He will also lay the groundwork for four other road projects in three states: Meghalaya, Manipur, and Arunachal Pradesh.”
- Among the highlights are six road projects connecting the states of Assam, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Manipur, and Tripura.
- Among the 4,350 crore projects, Tripura will see the launch of the government’s ambitious Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Rural schemes. “These houses, built at a cost of over 3400 crores, will benefit over 2 lakh people,” his office said in a statement.
- His visit to the northeast comes as the opposition has targeted the government over the latest clash between Indian and Chinese troops along the disputed Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Arunachal Pradesh’s Tawang.