Two Vessels Carrying 22 Indians Hijacked By Pirates Near Yemen, Somalia
Two vessels carrying 22 Indian nationals were separately hijacked by pirates off Yemen and Somalia, officials said.
Indian Navy Chetak helicopter conducts aerial security patrol above a crude oil tanker navigating the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait.
- Two commercial vessels were hijacked off Yemen and Somalia.
- A total of 22 Indian nationals were aboard the two ships.
- M.T. Sibu 1 was seized in the Gulf of Aden.
- The tanker had 16 Indians among its 20 crew members.
- Six armed pirates reportedly boarded the tanker.
- M/V LUTUF was hijacked off Puntland, Somalia.
- The cargo ship had six Indian nationals among its 10-member crew.
- Other crew members included Turkish, Georgian, and Serbian nationals.
- Both incidents involved armed pirates operating near busy shipping routes.
- The crew of Sibu 1 was reported safe in initial updates.
- Authorities were still assessing the latest status of the LUTUF crew.
- The hijackings indicate a renewed piracy threat around the Horn of Africa. Two Ships Hijacked With 22 Indians Aboard
New Delhi: Two commercial vessels carrying a combined 22 Indian nationals have been hijacked in separate incidents off Yemen and Somalia, raising fresh concerns about the return of piracy in the waters around the Horn of Africa.
The first incident involved the Eritrea-flagged oil-products tanker M.T. Sibu 1. The vessel, carrying 20 crew members, was seized by six armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden, around 30 nautical miles off Yemen’s coast. According to officials, 16 of the crew members are Indian nationals.
The remaining crew members include one Syrian, one Sudanese, and one Iraqi national. The nationality of another seafarer has not yet been confirmed.
Officials said the crew members were safe according to the latest available information, although the vessel’s precise status and movements were still being monitored. Reports indicated that the pirates boarded the tanker and took control of the vessel after it sent a distress signal.
The Recruitment and Placement Service Licence agency connected with the crew has been asked to submit a detailed incident report and provide regular updates through the e-Navik online marine casualty reporting system.
Sumit Kant Singh of SKS Krishiv Marine Services said his company had recruited four of the crew members and had shared their details with the Directorate of Maritime Administration. For families waiting thousands of kilometres away, such updates are crucial. A simple confirmation that a loved one is alive can provide temporary relief, even when the larger uncertainty remains.
Second vessel seized off Somalia
The second incident involved the Cameroon-flagged cargo vessel M/V LUTUF, which was hijacked off the Puntland coast of Somalia on Monday. The ship had 10 crew members, including six Indians.
The other crew members were identified as one Turkish national, one Georgian national, and two Serbian security guards. Somali officials said pirates seized the vessel approximately 3.5 nautical miles off Marraya in Puntland’s Eyl district. It was later taken towards the Nugaal coast.
Reports said the ship had been boarded by armed pirates operating from two small boats. The crew initially gathered in a protected area, often called a citadel, but the attackers later gained access and brought them to the bridge. No injuries had been reported in the early accounts, although the condition and exact location of the crew remained under assessment.
The vessel was reportedly carrying Turkish military equipment, communications equipment, and satellite systems. Its cargo and the presence of armed security personnel could make the incident particularly sensitive for regional authorities.
Renewed piracy concerns
The two hijackings have revived memories of the Somali piracy crisis that affected international shipping more than a decade ago. At its peak, pirates seized commercial vessels, held crews for ransom, and created serious risks for ships travelling between the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
International naval patrols, improved ship security, cooperation between shipping companies, and the use of guarded transit corridors helped reduce attacks. However, the latest incidents suggest that pirate groups may be attempting to rebuild their reach amid wider instability in the region.
The Gulf of Aden and waters near Somalia are already exposed to conflict, smuggling, and attacks on commercial shipping. The presence of armed groups, limited coastal security, and the large number of vessels using the route make the area difficult to police completely.
For India, the safety of its seafarers is a major concern. Indian nationals form a large part of the global maritime workforce, serving on tankers, cargo ships, container vessels, and offshore platforms. Each hijacking places families under immense emotional strain and creates pressure on the government to coordinate rescue, negotiation, and maritime-security efforts.
Authorities and international maritime agencies are continuing to monitor both vessels. The immediate priorities are confirming the safety of all crew members, preventing further movement of the ships into more dangerous waters, and securing their eventual release.

