Iran says return to war will bring ‘surprises’ as Trump threatens ‘full assault’

Iran warns of surprises as Trump threatens massive assault

Iran warns of surprises as Trump threatens massive assault

Washington and Tehran remain locked in tense diplomatic deadlock.

The US-Israeli war on Iran entered its 82nd day on Wednesday, May 20, as tensions between Washington and Tehran flared anew. Public exchanges between US President Donald Trump and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi underscored how close the conflict has come to further escalation — and how fragile the window for diplomacy remains.

On X, Araghchi pointed to what he described as mounting American losses, claiming that months into the conflict the US Congress had acknowledged dozens of aircraft lost at a cost of billions. “Our powerful Armed Forces are confirmed as 1st to strike down a touted F-35,” he wrote, adding that lessons learned during the campaign mean any return to hostilities would

That post followed comments by President Trump, who said he was “only an hour away” from ordering strikes on Iran earlier in the week but held back to allow “serious negotiations” to continue. Trump cast Iran as eager for a deal — “begging,” in his words — while threatening that the US was preparing a “full assault” if Tehran did not come to terms over its nuclear programme. He suggested any limited action could occur within days, warning that Washington cannot allow Iran to acquire a new nuclear weapon.

Despite the hawkish rhetoric, the apparent absence of immediate, large-scale US military action has fed a sense among analysts and regional observers that the conflict is stuck in a standoff. Strong words have not yet translated into decisive battlefield moves, and that gap between talk and action is shaping perceptions on both sides.

Amid these exchanges, Tehran has continued to deny responsibility for civilian casualties spotlighted during the campaign. as a “war crime.” The dispute feeds broader international outrage over civilian harm and complicates any potential path back to negotiations.

Meanwhile, the region’s commercial and strategic flows are adjusting to the conflict’s disruption. Reuters reported that two Chinese supertankers, carrying a combined load of roughly 4 million barrels of crude, finally left the Strait of Hormuz after being stranded in the Gulf for nearly two months. Their departure highlights how commercial actors are recalibrating risk and finding ways to keep trade moving even as geopolitical tensions surge.

Diplomatic effort, however tentative, continues. Iranian state media Tasnim said Tehran has transmitted a revised 14-point proposal to Washington via Pakistani mediation — a reminder that behind the public posturing there are ongoing, if cautious, channels for exchange. Tasnim quoted an Iranian official saying the submission followed amendments to an earlier text and suggested that Washington has offered a temporary waiver of some US sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) during negotiations.

Taken together, these developments sketch a picture of a conflict at once volatile and cornered by practical constraints. Each side uses public statements to shape domestic and international audiences, yet both appear wary of triggering a wider, uncontrollable conflagration. The months ahead will test whether diplomacy can turn those behind-the-scenes overtures into concrete steps, or whether mounting mistrust and sporadic confrontations will lock the region into a prolonged, dangerous stalemate.

For now, the world watches as Washington and Tehran continue to negotiate in the shadow of military threats — with civilian suffering, trade disruptions, and the specter of broader regional escalation all hanging in the balance.

Leave a Comment