Gun wielding teens attack San Diego’s largest mosque, kill 3

Gun-wielding teens attack San Diego mosque, killing three

Gun-wielding teens attack San Diego mosque, killing three

Missing teen gunmen killed three before taking own lives

Monday morning in San Diego began routinely for the families who gather at the Islamic Centre of San Diego — school drop-offs, coffee, and commuters. The community was left stunned after two teen gunmen opened fire at the mosque, killing three people before taking their own lives. Local leaders and investigators are treating the incident as a potential hate crime.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the attack unfolded quickly and involved hateful rhetoric, though authorities are still clarifying the shooters’ motives. The situation nearly ended differently: a mother discovered a note and contacted police, and while Wahl would not disclose its contents, he said the tip helped investigators piece together events. One of the teens attended Madison High School about a mile from the mosque; the police have not released the shooters’ names.

Among the dead was a mosque security guard whose actions officials described as heroic for limiting further casualties. Chief Wahl said the guard’s intervention “undoubtedly saved lives,” making his death a focal point of the community’s grief and gratitude.

The Islamic Centre of San Diego is the county’s largest mosque and also houses Al Rashid School, which offers religious instruction to children from age five. At the time of the shooting, staff and volunteers quickly escorted students to safety; aerial footage later showed more than a dozen children being led out of the parking lot past numerous police vehicles. Wahl, visibly emotional, reassured parents that all the children were safe.

The mosque sits in a typical San Diego neighborhood alongside homes and small businesses, including Middle Eastern restaurants and markets. Imam Taha Hassane called the attack an outrageous targeting of a place of worship and highlighted the center’s long record of interfaith outreach — noting that a group of non-Muslims had toured the mosque earlier that morning. That community role makes the violence feel especially personal to residents.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations condemned the shooting and said it is gathering information, while officials across the city urged calm and asked people to follow law-enforcement guidance as the probe continues. Neighbors, some who had known the victims for years, expressed shock and sorrow; many described the security guard as friendly and welcoming.

Investigators said they will release more details about the shooters’ plans and possible influences, including online sources, in the coming days. For now, the mosque and the neighborhood are left to mourn and to process what the imam described as an attack not just on a building, but on the community.

Leave a Comment