Trump says ‘good chance’ of Iran nuclear deal after US pauses strike plan

Trump sees hope for Iran deal after pausing strikes

Trump sees hope for Iran deal after pausing strikes

Rising tensions spark urgent efforts to prevent wider conflict

On the 81st day of the US‑Israeli war on Iran, President Donald Trump said Tuesday there was a “very good chance” of reaching a nuclear agreement with Tehran — after he postponed a planned military strike that had been set to begin that day. Speaking at a White House event on healthcare affordability, Trump described the delay as linked to a “very positive development” in talks with Iranian officials and said Washington would be

The decision to pause the planned attack came after what the president said were appeals from Gulf leaders. In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed had urged restraint and told him “serious negotiations” were underway. The Gulf leaders, he said, expressed confidence that a deal acceptable to the United States and to regional partners could be reached — one that would ensure “no nuclear weapons for Iran.”

Even as Trump spoke of diplomacy, he left no doubt that military options remain on the table. He said he had instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman General Daniel Caine and US forces not to carry out the planned strike on Tuesday but to remain ready for a “full, large-scale assault” at a moment’s notice if talks collapse. In a separate statement, Trump said the operation had been prepared but was postponed “for a short time or maybe forever,” reflecting both hope for a diplomatic path and a readiness for renewed force.

The pause comes amid growing unease about how a conflict with Iran might spread through the Middle East. acwar of attrition, to wider regional involvement by Gulf states, or a fragile ceasefire punctuated by continuing hostilities. Each scenario carries the risk of broader instability, and each underscores how high the stakes remain.

Both sides appear to have been preparing for further confrontation. The New York Times, citing a US military official, reported that Iran used the lull to reopen dozens of missile sites previously struck and had adjusted its tactics for a possible new round of fighting. The official also said Tehran had hidden large numbers of ballistic missiles inside caves and mountain facilities, complicating any future strike plan.

On the diplomatic front, Iran reportedly sent a revised 14‑point proposal via Pakistani mediation, according to the Tasnim news agency. Tasnim quoted an Iranian official saying Washington agreed to waive certain sanctions during negotiations, and that US negotiators had proposed suspending penalties enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) until a final understanding could be reached. Tehran, the report said, insisted on complete removal of sanctions as a condition of any long‑term deal.

Washington’s lawmakers were watching closely. Senator Lindsey Graham reiterated that any agreement should win congressional approval, suggesting a process similar to the one used for the 2015 JCPOA. He listed what he said were essential conditions: no uranium enrichment by Iran, US control over highly enriched uranium stockpiles, guaranteed access through the Strait of Hormuz, an end to Iran’s ballistic missile program, and a halt to support for proxy groups across the region. Still, Graham warned he was skeptical Tehran would accept terms fundamentally different from the previous deal.

Tensions were visible on the ground. Iranian authorities activated air defenses on Qeshm Island near the Strait of Hormuz, a choke point for global oil shipments, according to Mehr News Agency. And Israeli aircraft struck a building in the al‑Mushaqqa area of southern Lebanon’s Tyre district, the Palestinian Information Center reported, following what Israeli forces described as security operations that included orders for some residents to relocate.

White House officials framed the pause as a test of whether diplomacy could produce a durable solution that keeps nuclear weapons out of Tehran’s hands while avoiding a wider war. President Trump said Iran wanted the conflict to end soon but insisted it “cannot possess a nuclear weapon.” The administration’s public posture combined cautious optimism about talks with a clear warning: negotiations would be given an opportunity, but military force remained a proximate backup.

As negotiators traded proposals and military planners held forces in readiness, the region balanced between hope and risk. For a moment, the world watched to see whether diplomacy could defuse a crisis that has already reshaped alliances and shaken markets — or whether the quiet on one day would merely be the calm before a new, far more dangerous chapter.

Leave a Comment